Thursday 5 January 2012

Since it is the beginning of a new year, I thought that it would be a good time to start blogging again. It's been about five years since I kept a regular blog and I think it is time. Life is moving so quickly around here, that I think it's time we document some of it!

I started running in August, and my goal for 2011 (actually it was a new years resolution) was to be able to run 5km. I've never run before, and I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to do it. When I started in August I used an app on my phone called "Couch to 5km" and the first week it has you run for 90 seconds and walk for 2 mins. I didn't think I was going to make it that first week. The 90 seconds of running was quite a struggle. I kept with it though, and on New Year's eve, my running partner and I ran our first 5km race. We finished in 33:51 which was not a bad time - we were in the middle of the pack. The last half of the race was all uphill, and we really hadn't done any hill training - something we will have to start doing. It was an awesome experience, and I can't wait to do it again, and it is so good to have something to work towards. Next race will be the 5km Fun race in the Around-the-Bay race. Hoping to finish in 30 mins which I think it completely attainable.

I have joined a gym and am going to start adding weights into my routine, and hope to try some spinning classes as well. I tried hot yoga for the first time this spring and I LOVE it, so I hoping to be able to get to that once a week as well.

I'm still not sure how this is all going to work, since I have three lovely girls, that are very active in karate - we are there five days a week, and Miss M does violin as well.  I'm at home with the kids, but I babysit and volunteer in both of the kid's schools. We also have a house full of pets (two dogs, two cats, hamster, and a fish - can you say zoo??), and a husband who works crazy hours and travels a lot. It is a crazy busy life but not one that I would trade for anything. I am also learning how important it is for me to take time for myself so that I can be the best possible mum I can be. Somehow with lots of teamwork, it will just work. It always does!!!!



2 comments:

  1. I'm loving the new look and style of the blog!

    GREAT job on your first 5k! I think you're awesome! your time was killer ;D so proud of you. I know how it feels to be doing it for the first time. My next race is at ATB too! see you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ali!!!! Hoping to get into a regular posting routine :)

    ReplyDelete